Friday, July 6, 2012

8 Day Challenge - Day #1


So since I’m still not consistent in blogging, I’m going to start training myself by accepting some random blog challenges.
Now this one is called the 8 Day Random Challenge. Today is Day One.
1.       Post 8 facts about yourself.
Wow ok so that’s kind of hard. I’m just joshing; okay here are some important/random facts about myself that I’ll share with you.

#1
I am a third culture kid.
What does that mean? According to the book Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Among Worlds, a TCK is a person who has spent a significant amount of his or her developmental years outside his/her parent’s culture. I spent half of my life in China. When I was there, I was raised surrounded by American kids. I always had trouble feeling like I actually belonged somewhere even though I was able to adapt anywhere. The only time I ever felt like I fit in was when I was with other TCKs.

#2
I am a bookworm.
A lot of my new friends don’t know this about me. However, a lot of my friends in China know me as the bookworm. I used to wear glasses and I was the kid who carried books around all the time.  I didn’t like playing outside and when I was outside, I’d be reading. Now, I got a Kindle Touch and contacts and I became way more sociable. I also stopped reading in public and talked to people instead. However, I am still a geek inside and though I haven’t been reading much this year, I still keep a list of books that I read. For the past few years I’ve gone to averagely 130 books every year. However this year, I just passed 30 something. And as of this moment, I have no idea where my notebook with my list is. :-/

#3
My guilty pleasure is watching reality television.
I know, I know, I know that it sucks and it’s not really ‘real’ since a lot of it is scripted. But it’s like, it’s there and you can’t look away. More confessions, I voted twice in Pinoy Big Brother Unlimited, the season earlier this year. I’ve never voted before, and I probably won’t again since the people I voted for didn’t even place in the top four. And I am not just a watcher, when the people from Pinoy Big Brother had a mall show in Trinoma, I dragged my cousins to accompany me while I screamed and clapped. I didn’t hold any banners though. Haha.
#4
Even though I am mostly an indie/alternative/folk music type of girl, I do listen to boy bands and Justin Bieber.
Yes, I am a Belieber. I am also a Directioner. I am not a die-hard fan though, I haven’t been to any of the Beebs’ concerts. Same goes for 1D. But their music is catchy and Justin and Zayn and Harry are such cuties. I have a thing for boys who are talented, with a few tattoos and have really good hair.

#5
I prefer hymns to worship songs from bands and stuff.
I do, I really do love hymns. Growing up in China, we went to house churches with Americans and we sang hymns. Usually acapella. So listening to “Be thou my vision” and “Come Thou Fount” puts my mind and my heart in a worship mode immediately. It’s a bit funny coming back to the Philippines and seeing how my church here which is mostly composed of youth singing songs from Jesus Culture, Hillsong United and Planetshakers. Songs I haven’t heard before, apart from some famous Hillsong ones. Then its also surprising to me that they’ve never heard of the songs I know!

#6
I write poetry.
And no, it’s not mostly emo poetry. I write a lot of children’s poetry too. They’re about random things like bikes and funny things. But yes, I do write sad poetry sometimes. I might post some on here, but I don’t know. I’m very protective of my poems though. When writing blogs, and short stories or little novellas that I never finish, I am a different kind of writer. When I write poems, I feel raw. Words in poems are different and poets are different from other writers. When we write poetry, we are drifting dreamers, taken out of this world and so attuned to our hearts. At least that’s how I feel when I’m writing poems.

#7
My name was supposed to be Samantha. If I was a boy, I would have been named Aidan.
AW Tozer is my dad’s favorite writer. So my dad wanted to name me Aidan, but I turned out to be a girl. Still, they went with an A name. After that the rest of my siblings followed the alphabet. But my dad never got his son Aidan. He got a writer daughter though. Still it would have been nice to be named Samantha. I would have called myself Sami.


#8
I like to try to relate to a character in every TV show I’ve seen.
So in 90210 I used to be Annie all the way, now I’m a mix of Annie and Silver. In Smallville, I’m Chloe and Lois. In Pretty Little Liars, I’m Aria. In The Vampire Diaries I’m Elena and Caroline. I’m a mix of the good girl and the outgoing, crazy, wild girl. In How I Met Your Mother, I’m Robin. In Full House (old one) I’m totally DJ even though I wish I was as awesome as Stephanie. (Another fact, I watch a lot of TV)

Ok so this sums up the first day of the blog challenge. Stay tuned for more random writings.


XXO
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment